Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Open The Doors -- Welcome Home!

While I was in Seminary, I had the opportunity to serve at a church in Dubuque by working with their "Food for the Soul" program. They served a free meal every Saturday night to anyone who was in need. I worked as the Hostess for the meal. My job was to make sure that everyone felt welcomed, to pray for the meal, and to help with other logistics.

One night while I was working there, I saw a man reading a book. I asked him what he was reading and found out that he was reading Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky. I was surprised that this homeless man was reading such a difficult book. This discovery opened the doors to a rather long and unexpected conversation about Classic Literature and our favorite authors.

Afterwards, I called my sister to share this strange happening. I told her that I couldn't believe that he had read so many classic books, I am ashamed to admit that I assumed most of the people were at a very low reading level. My sister, (being a fount of wisdom) said, "you were probably right about most of the people, but it's those other 10% that get you every time."

"The other 10%.." I've never forgotten that phrase, and sometime would like to do a whole sermon series about how God uses those "other ten percent" in powerful and mighty ways.

This theme can be powerfully seen in the passages for this week:
Micah 5:2-5a
Luke 1:39-45
Luke 1:47-55


Surpisingly it is little and insignificant Bethlehem that is the birthplace for the Messiah. It is two unlikely women that God chooses to bear John the Baptist and Jesus. It is the lowly that are lifted up in Mary's Magnificat. It is the proud that are scattered. God turns the tables on our assumptions and prejudices and helps us to see "the other 10 percent." God welcomes us home not because we are rich or proud or mighty or intelligent. God welcomes us home because we are faithful.

Questions to ponder...
Who are the "other 10 percent" in your world? Who have you ignored, or forgotten, or made assumptions about? How do these passages challenge us to reach out to the least, lost, and forgotten of the world?
What does it mean that God uses the lowly and the forgotten to be bearers of God's message?
Where have you told God, "no" because you thought you were too insignificant? How might God be challenging you through these passages to step out in faith?

Remember that whoever you are, and wherever you are, God loves you! And despite how small and insignificant you may feel, you play a special part in God's plan. So, this week, remember that God has opened the doors for you (and the other 10 percent of the world we forget about) and is calling us home.

No comments: