Monday, April 13, 2009

Holy Week Revisited...

It has been a busy week!

Someone said to me, "this is like your Superbowl weekend, isn't it?" And, indeed it was! There are so many things that happen during Holy Week. A Thursday service, a Friday service, a 24-hour Prayer Vigil, a Sunrise Service, an Easter Breakfast, and finally the Easter worship service. And, in addition to all of that, there was extra time spent with my family.

All of it was time well spent. I had an incredible Holy Week and Easter this year. It was exciting to see so many participate in the prayer vigil. I think that was one of the things I was most nervous about. I wondered, would we really be able to fill up the time slots? And the answer was yes!

I think that the whole week made me realize that during busy weeks and hectic schedules it is most important to remember that we do not do this on our own power, or for our own glory.

I heard many affirming comments about the Good Friday service, and while I did spend time planning who would read, and what songs we would sing, I really did not do anything to create a great service. The thing that made the service great was the fact that God spoke to people's hearts. And again with the Prayer Vigil. If it was helpful and meaningful, it is was so because God was speaking. And that is something that can never be manufactured by the pastor.

Holy Week reminds us that we need to work together as the Body of Christ. When we come together to plan a service, God speaks powerfully. Even more, Holy Week reminds us to stop and listen to God speaking.

May God continue to speak to you this week, and always... Amen.

2 comments:

The Gibbon said...

AMEN!

Pamago said...

The Maundy Thursday Seder at New Lenox United Methodist Church was a great experience, as it was last year. Fantastic music, and an excellent learning experience as we "retraced" Jesus' Passover meal and beyond.

The prayer vigil was very meaningful. I wondered just how we would be able to pray for 30 minutes at a time, let alone in multiple sessions! Pastor Becky, the materials you provided were good helpers and the time speaking with God went by so fast. I would be honored to do this again in the church.

So many good memories of Holy Week, which refreshed my faith.