Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Smell The Color Nine

That is the title of a song by Chris Rice. In the song, he talks of how difficult it can be to hear God's call. He says that sometimes trying to find God is like "trying to smell the color 9 ... 'cuz 9's not a color, and even if it were you can't smell a color." Last week, we focused on the high glorious moments when you first realize that God is calling you.

This week, I want us to consider, what happens next?

The call "follow me" seems so simple and easy. And yet, the more we try to follow God exactly, the more difficult following becomes. Who is proclaiming the right message to follow? How do you know which path to take?

You have the desire to follow, but not always the direction. Faith can be difficult. And yet, we believe and proclaim that God guides us. We believe that God leads us. We believe that God can really "be our vision."

So, the question for this week is, how do we find God in our busy, chaotic world?

1 comment:

The Gibbon said...

I hope someone provides an answer on this one, 'cause I am lost! I feel the call to use spiritual gifts such prophesy and teaching, but don't have a clue which of an infinite numbers of paths to take: seminary; lay speaking; civil servant; etc. I have the desire but not the direction. How do I find the God-possible in an infinite sea of human-impossible?

I pray for discernment, but do not get a thunderously clear answer under my deadline for God. Like Chris says in the first stanza: "I would take 'no' for an answer, just to know I heard You speak. And I'm wonderin' why I've never seen the signs they claim they see. Are the special revelations meant for everybody but me?"