Friday, December 19, 2008

...sleep in Heavenly Peace

The theme this week is peace. And the text is Luke 1:26-38.

This is the story of Gabriel telling Mary that she will give birth to the Son of God. It is not exactly a peaceful story. (Especially, if you are Mary!)

But, if we look deeper at this story, we find there is much to be learned. The fact that God chose Mary, says that the lowly and the forgotten people from small towns and forgotten places really are important. The story also emphasizes the fact that "all things are possible with God." Regardless of how strange and unsettling this announcement may have been to Mary, she accepts the news and the knowledge that ALL things are possible with God.

And really, if you think about it, there is something peaceful about knowing that God has a plan, and you are part of that plan. "I am the Lord's servant," Mary answers, "May it be to me as you have said." That is the statement of one whose trust fully rested on God. And with her trust firmly placed with God, she found peace.

I pray you may also find that peace.

Questions for reflection:
What about Christmas brings you peace?
Which character from the Christmas stories do you most identify with? How does that character(s) eventually find his/her/their place in God's plan?
How can we be witnesses to God's peace in this busy season?

1 comment:

The Gibbon said...

For my peace of mind, you're going to have to stop confronting us with difficult soul searching questions...

I'm afraid to confess that I find little about Christmas peaceful. I like best Christmas night after we are all home safely, and I feel a sense of relief. I feel peace when I put myself into the nativity scene, and their sense of relief to have some place warm after their long travels.

I can relate to Joseph. His life is spiraling out of control. He is a good man, and yet nothing goes as planned. His compassion, sense of commitment and trust allows him to buck the social mores of his day, stand against the angst of his family, and rise above the pressure of his peers to protect Mary from stoning. He accepted a new call.

If Mary and Joseph found peace by accepting their parts in God's plan, how can you find peace if you're clueless? How can you witness to what you have not experienced?